- insuring deposits
- examining and supervising financial institutions for safety and soundness and consumer protection
- managing receiverships
U.S. SENATE COMMITTEES
U.S. HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES COMMITTEES
“For more than 185 years, the House Committee on Agriculture has established farm policy for agriculture and rural America in the nation’s capital. Our nation was founded on the strength of agriculture production, which helped to establish us among the world’s most powerful and prosperous nations. The importance of agriculture in the United States has only grown, as our nation’s farmers and ranchers produce the food, fiber and products that keep our nation strong and bountiful and that help feed a hungry world.
The responsibilities and goals of the House Committee on Agriculture are as diverse as the needs of American agriculture. We face issues as varied as renewable energy, rural development, disaster assistance, nutrition, crop insurance, conservation, international trade, futures market regulation, animal and plant health, agricultural research and development, bioterrorism, forestry and many others.
Our challenge is to find ways to address the diverse needs of agriculture in regions with very different products, climates and experiences. We must continue to work together to find ways to not only support our nation’s agricultural production but also to ensure that American consumers continue to have access to the world’s safest, most abundant food and agriculture products.
This is no small challenge, but there are diverse and strong voices that are helping us shape the future of farm policy in the United States.”
The Authority summarizes its Statutory Objectives and Principles of Good Regulation in three Strategic Aims:
- Promoting efficient, orderly and fair markets
- Helping retail consumers achieve a fair deal
- Improving business capability and effectiveness
- Functions of Internal Subdivisions
- Minister’s Secretariat : Overall co-ordination and adjustment of the competent administration; matters concerning personnel management and accounts of the Ministry of Finance; investigation and research of matters necessary for the competent administration; investigation, planning and drafting of the Government financial institutions system; matters concerning earthquake re-insurance; planning and drafting of matters concerning financial crisis management; supervision of the Deposit Insurance Corporation, etc.
- Budget Bureau : Planning, drafting and consolidation of budget system, settlement of accounts system and accounting system.
- Tax Bureau : Planning and drafting of systems concerning taxes and estimation of tax revenue
- Customs and Tariff Bureau : Planning and drafting of systems concerning Customs duties; planning and drafting of international treaties concerning Customs duties; supervision of Customs operations; compilation of Customs statistics, etc.
- Financial Bureau : Matters concerning treasury system, government debt management, local bonds, issuance of coins, the Fiscal Investment and Loan Program, national property, the tobacco industry, the salt industry, ensuring proper management of operations and organization of the Bank of Japan, etc.
- International Bureau : Investigation, planning and drafting of matters concerning foreign exchange and international monetary systems and their stability; adjustment of balance of payments; management of the Foreign Exchange Special Account; matters concerning foreign exchange rates; matters concerning international organizations related to economic cooperation or development; matters concerning overseas loans and investment, etc.
- Functions of Facilities
- Policy Research Institute : Basic and comprehensive study and research concerning policies under the jurisdiction of the Ministry of Finance and fiscal and economic at home and abroad
- Accounting Center : Research concerning settlement of state accounts by the electronic information processing system and its management
- Central Customs Laboratory : Chemical analysis, etc., requiring highly advanced specialized skills concerning export and import clearance
- Customs Training Institute : Management of training of Ministry of Finance officials concerning matters necessary for Customs administration
- Function of Local Branch Offices
- Local Finance Bureau : Inspection and investigation of the implementation status of state budget; statistical surveys on incorporated enterprises; supervision of matters concerning tobacco businesses; management and investment of fiscal loans; investigation of local economy and fiscal conditions; management and disposal of national property; matters entrusted by the Financial Services Agency, such as inspection and supervision of local private financial institutions, supervision concerning securities transactions, examination of securities submitted, management of certified public accountant examinations, etc.
- Customs-Houses : Imposition and collection of customs duties, tonnage dues and special tonnage dues; control of export and import goods, vessels, aircraft and passengers; licensing of customhouse brokerage; supervision of customhouse brokers; management of national examination for customhouse brokers, etc.
- Functions of Independent Organs
- National Tax Agency : Assessment and collection of national tax; management of Certified Public Tax Accountant system; licence issuance for liquor manufactures and sales, etc.